Monday, January 26, 2009

Birthdays

Wildcat has a birthday this week. He gets to go to the state spelling bee on his birthday, so we celebrated this past weekend. For the most part Wildcat is a very content child. Part of that is as a toddler when he would whine we would have him quote Phillipians 2:14. Our version is "Do everything without grumbling, whining, or complaining." When he gets tired, he still needs these reminders. However, a month or so ago Wildcat came to me and was very upset because all of his friends have summer birthdays. He really wished he had a summer birthday so they could do something "fun" like football or swimming. As parents, we certainly don't indulge every wish he has, but I like to do good things for my kids (I really understand Matthew 7:9-10 much better now). After some research I found that one of our state parks had just opened a new aquatic center. You can check it out here http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/abe/.

Given that the price was about the same as having a party for his whole class, we talked with Wildcat. Well, after a few bumps of finding a friend to go (one of his friends came down with mono 2 days before we left), Wildcat and his friend were ready to go. We had a fantastic time! The boys were all boy (little boy humor involves a lot of bodily function jokes!). They loved swimming. I loved that the water was only 3 1/2 feet deep and that there were plenty of lifeguards. The aquatic center was planned so that parents could be in one part, but still easily see their kids in another part. This meant that I could take Kapooka around the lazy river while the boys were in line for the water slide, but I could still see them. The boys also enjoyed the board games, the flat screen TV in the lounge, and the game room. We all enjoyed the extra large room with a beautiful view of the woods. Kapooka loved swimming. She was even putting her face in the water!

All in all, a very good birthday celebration for Wildcat. I liked it too. I have to say, packing a suitcase was much easier than planning a whole party.

1 comment:

  1. If I may say so, your son is much appreciated by his young friends. The one he had to leave behind because of the mono much lamented the loss of the outing with you guys. I'm glad you found someone else able to go along at the last minute like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post Divider

Post Divider