Friday, February 11, 2011

Why I am Thankful For My Son's Public School

First, dear friends, let me say that I have done it all on the school spectrum. I have homeschooled. I have sent my child to a private Christian school. I have attended a private, non-religious college, and now my child is attending a public school. I truly believe that children are a gift, and that to teach them God's commands is the most important task that we have. However, I don't belive God always asks us to choose one way to go about doing that. I think each child has different needs. I think even the same child can have different needs as they go through different stages of development.

Our current situation is such that a quality Christian school is not nearby. So we are left with the option to homeschool or public school. We prayed and we prayed. Over and over the answer has come back to send our Wildcat to school. It has been HARD. It has been a change. However, it is good. Why? Let me share?

1. He is a lot more conscious of his friend choices. We talk a lot about character qualities of being a good friend. This didn't happen before.
2. His heart is growing in having a burden for those that are lost. He is also seeing sin and disliking it. He is sharing the gospel, and inviting friends to church.
3. The adjustment to our new town has been the hardest on our son. The counselor at the school is a Christian. She prays with him, and is basically his security blanket. She even came to our church on a Wednesday night just to check on him.
4. The librarian at the school goes to our church, and takes him to school every day. She even feeds him donuts on Fridays. He knows he can talk to her too about any issue at school. She prays with him too.
5. He is learning, and reading, and doing things that I could not provide at home, at least not with a toddler around. Other moms probably could. I can't.
6. He is making friends in his new town. Here, it is such a small town if you don't go to the school you are really on the outside.
7. He is learning that Mom and Dad are great people to talk to about your troubles and your questions that come up during the day. He is also learning about the power of prayer when we pray through his day every night. However, he is also learning the value of a faith community. He is seeking out Christian role models to help him throughout his day.

So, all that to say, is tonight I am thankful for all the people that work hard to educate my son every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Divider

Post Divider